System Center Operations Manager 2012 SP1 Reporting Server Failed Install

A few weeks ago I went through the process of upgrading our System Center Operations Manager 2012 environment from RTM to SP1.  When I came to the Reporting Server I had decided to upgrade my SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 to SP2 as well.  During the upgrade the Reporting Server service failed to start.  I couldn’t find a good reason why after searching and searching and searching.  After bringing up a few VM’s I had noticed that as soon as SP2 was installed on each attempt to bring back my Reporting Server the service would fail to start.  So I have decided to stay with SP1 for now and will research this later. Now, on to the reason for this post.

Every time I tried to install the Reporting Server it would fail and roll back the installation.   Some of the errors I ran into within the Setup.log and the OpsMgrSetupWizard.log:

 

Message Type  0: CopyFileList Failed.. Error : 0x80070002

[14:57:14]:    Error:    :ImportManagementPack: Unknown Error. System.ArgumentException : The requested management pack is not valid. See inner exception for details.

[14:57:14]:    Error:    :Error:failed to import Reporting management packs. This is a fatal error

[14:57:14]:    Error:    :FATAL ACTION: ConfigureReportingForInstall

I had gone through this a few times and finally tried doing research online.  Since SP1 hadn’t been released very long it was hard to find any post on the same error or something related.  I found one blog that talked about the OperationsManager log database not having enough room but that was pretty much it.

So I tried two things and it worked.  I can’t tell you if one or the other fixed it since I did both at the same time.

  1. I went to the OperationsManager database and changed the MOM_LOG from 100 mb that it was default set to and changed it o 2048 MB. 
  2. I then manually imported all the management packs from the SP1 download.  I had noticed that the versions where different from those I had installed to those that came with the download.

Bingo, one of the two things above seemed to work.  I was able to reinstall my Reporting Server and now have my entire environment to SP1.

I don’t claim that this is the correct way to fix these issues but it worked for me.

Advertisements
Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Operations Manager 2012 SP1, SCOM 2012 SP1, System Center 2012, System Center 2012 SP1

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow Kristopher Jon Turner on WordPress.com
Archives
%d bloggers like this: